Although technically not bread, better than a slice of toast anyday! Make a big batch and freeze, they taste just as good when gently warmed and butter and Jam and maybe a little dollop of creamJ
1lb self raising flour
2oz caster sugar
Pinch baking powder (1/8 tsp)
4 oz butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 floz double cream
Egg/milk to glaze
- Preheat oven to 180c /350f
- Sift flour, sugar,baking powder and salt into a large bowl
- With your fingers, gently blend in the butter until the mixture resembles dry breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg, cream and enough milk to moisten.
- Mix well until it has a soft, doughy texture but it shouldn’t be too moist.
- Gather the dough into a ball and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll lightly with a rolling pin until it is 1” thick
- Cut out with round cutter and transfer to high sided baking dish.
- Brush top with egg/milk glaze
- Bake for 15-20 mins until well browned and risen.
Cooks tip: add 4oz fruit, e.g sultana’s, cherries, raspberries and chunks of white chocolate, into the flour mix before you add the egg and milk – the choice is yours, just no more than 2oz of additions to every 8oz flour.