Porridge Bread Recipe
Great recipe if you are gluten free, or if you like a heavy wheaten, I love this toasted – has a lovely nutty flavour, with butter obviously!! and cheese or jam or both. This also keeps really well.
2 tsp of bread soda
1 large tub of natural yogurt (500 ml)
2 yogurt tubs of porridge oats
½ tsp salt
1 tablespoon milk (optional)
Optional: 1 cup of chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and crushed walnuts, or omega seed mix (Optional but really good!)
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Grease standard loaf tin (2lbs/900g – 18.5 x 11.5 x 9cm). Use parchment paper to line the tin for easy release!
- Place the yogurt, milk and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Using the same yogurt tub measure 2 tubs of porridge oats and add to the bowl with the bread/baking soda.
- Add your favourite seeds/nuts at this point. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin. Cut a line down the centre(literally just draw your knife through the mixture)
- You can sprinkle some sunflower and poppy seeds on top at this stage.
- Place in the oven and cook for approx. 45-55 mins (depending on your oven). Should sound hollow when you tap it
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the bread from the tin, turn upside down in the tin and cook for remaining 10 mins.
- Leave to cool on wire tray wrapped in clean tea towel.