A bun and a cup of tea and the world is just a better place – this recipe makes 12 but honestly making any less than 3 doz is a waste of time 😉
4oz margarine (stork in a tub)(125grm) or soft butter
4 oz caster sugar (125grms)
4oz self-raising flour (125grms)
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
2 tbls milk
- Preheat oven to 200º, and line tins with bun cases
- Cream caster sugar and margarine until the mixture is pale and fluffy
- Beat the eggs into the mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition (if the butter and sugar are not creamed properly and if you add the eggs too fast, the mixture will curdle, and the end result will have a heavier texture – don’t panic if the mixture starts to curdle – add a spoonful or two of flour to help stabilise the mixture, and then add alternate spoonfuls of egg and flour until it has all been added)
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in with spatula or metal spoon
- Add vanilla extract and milk to get dropping consistency – i.e. mixture drops easily off spoon.
- Put spoonfuls of mixture into cases and bake for 12-15minutes
- Allow to cool on a rack and then decorate and if you can wait until the icing is dry enjoy with a mug of tea – better than a hug!!